Sunday 28 May 2017

DT Inspiration - Smooshed Sentimental Cards

Hi, it's Lindsey here with a post on how to make simple mixed media cards. 






I've used the colourful backgrounds with the big bold sentiments from the All Occasion Sentiments range. Very quick and easy to make and they pack a real punch.  







It's not difficult to create backgrounds like these, and it's lots of fun!
I've used a combination of smooshing and splattering with several different media: water-based ink pads, mica powders, Brushos, and Mica powders. I also added some metallic splatters using Gansai Tambi watercolours.

If you don't have all these different media there's no need to rush out and buy them all! The essentials are 2 similar shades of ink pads. The other medias are a bonus. You could also try adding accents using metallic gilding wax, shimmery pastels or even some sparkly eye shadow!

I chose a single colour theme in each media so that I didn't end up with a brown muddy colour.  








For my blue toned card I used a blue distress ink pad, turquoise Brushos and turquoise mica powder with a final splattering of silver watercolour paint.  

For my orange toned card I used yellow and orange ink pads, scarlet Brushos and gold mica powder with a final splattering of gold watercolour paint.






The smooshing technique is pretty haphazard.  
You need to randomly spot your ink pad on an acrylic block and then spray with a fine mist of water to disperse the ink. You want pools of ink rather than even coverage, then just stamp away onto a piece of card. While the card is damp you can sprinkle on some Brushos and Mica powders. If you want more coverage just repeat the process until you are happy.  






These backgrounds do take a while to dry, especially if you use normal card stock (my preference) although you can use watercolour card if you prefer. I put a large acrylic block over my finished piece to help it dry flat. If the background is a little warped once dry, you can adhere it to your card base with 3D sticky pads to offset this.  







Once the backgrounds are completely dry all they need is a bold sentiment and a trio of embellishments. I heat embossed the sentiment on my orange background and used a dark blue ink for the sentiment on my blue background.










I hope I've inspired you to go have a play!

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Don't the banners and trees look sensational in the CC&S colours. Great to see you playing along as well as Guest Designing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fabulous cards! the bunting is such a cool idea! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nifty ideas and pretty cards :)
    cheers
    preety

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! what a creative way to stretch those Christmas dies/stamps. Thanks for joining us at CC&S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two fab cards Lindsey and I love new ideas on how to get more out of supplies ;) Beautiful showcase of this Uniko clear stamp set. Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful creativity, Lindsey!! Love how you figured out a way to see these trees in a new light!! Thanks for playing with CC&S this week. Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Comments Appreciated